Monday, March 1, 2010

Deluded and Confused

As I read through the teachings, I can't help but feel more confused as Krishna rants on with his explanations. As Arjuna said, "You confuse my understanding with a maze of words." (part 2). I seriously can't understand what he is trying to say, or what noble truth he's trying to reveal. I guess I'm going to need someone to make a little drawing for me. Maybe I'm that type of ignorant person Krishna keeps saying live sad and miserable (but I feel quite happy with myself) "An ignorant man is lost, faithless and filled with self doubt." (part 40). It's just so hard for me to understand everything he's saying. One has to have no desires, but one has to act for the better good, but in that action you can't desire to obtain that better good, so in the end…could you explain it again please?


And what's even worse, Krishna doesn't want the wise people to explain their reasoning to those who are having a hard time understanding. "Those deluded by the qualities of nature are attached to their actions; a man who knows this should not upset these dull men of partial knowledge." (part 29). All I can understand is that happiness is only reached by relinquishing the fruit of action. Although he also mentioned that no one can renounce action for an instant "No one exists for even an instant without performing action;" (part 5), so action has to be part of sacrifice and discipline. But the action has to be believed as not acted by one, but by nature. "When he can discriminate nature's qualities and think, 'the qualities depend on other qualities,' he is detached." (part 29). In the end, we can apparently do nothing but detach from human feelings and senses.

I' m still waiting to see where all this knowledge applies in the justification of war and killing carelessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment