Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Fear thy Family-in-Law!

As I read Alcyone's warning over her father's power, I couldn't help but connect it with my own family. Alcyone is daughter of Aeolus, master of the winds. Ceyx thought his trip was safe because his father in law would protect him, but he didn't know Aeolus wouldn't give him the special treatment he expected. The winds were too wild and they heeded no orders. Ceyx, Aeolus' son-in-law perished in the sea. It is a similar case with my father and my mother's parents. He frequently tells stories of how he had to endure terrible conditions in order to be accepted in the family. My father used to take my mother from college to her home. He invited her to the finest restaurants in the city and did her college homework (I still can't get over that). If this wasn't enough, he had to be approved by my mother's family! I really don't want to be mean, but I have never met a worst family than the Guarin's. To begin with, my grandfather, who is a 94 year old man but seems like if he were like 80, is exactly as troublesome as he was 30 years ago. Everything he says is sacred law, and every single detail that happens around the house has to be approved by him. My grandmother, on the other hand, is only there to obey to anyone's orders. She has had to endure living with my grandfather for 52 years! If I were her, I would have killed myself by now. My mother has five more siblings: Three sisters and two younger brothers. To this point, I still don't know which one is the worst of them. All of my cousins agree my mother is the least problematic sister of the family (imagine how bad the rest of them are!). My father had to withstand these people, always with a smile, in order to get married with my mom. One of the funniest stories my father has of his terrible experiences was when he got invited to Girardot. I think dad would've thought twice to go if he had known he was invited exclusively to wash dishes, clean the kitchen and attend mom's two brothers while she was out playing tennis. Honestly, I think my grandfather only let my mom date my dad because he was such a good mechanic. Dad said that almost all dates ended up in my grandfather making him fix their cars (he loves saving money, and he had earned a free mechanic that couldn't whine for worker rights). Miraculously, my dad finally got to marry my mother, and they have lived happily ever after for 23 years and hopefully counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment