Friday, February 26, 2010

Say What?

I am totally bewildered and confused with Krishna's teachings. As he would say, my understanding is still in the swamps of delusion (part 52). I really don't understand what his arguments are to make Arjuna want to fight. Apart from preserving his honor, which is very understandable since he is supposed to be a brave warrior that must lead his people into battle (it would seem a little sissy to turn back in fear), there is no real reason why he shouldn't call for peace instead of war. Krishna is telling him that you are not really killing anyone because no one really exists in this reality. Supposedly life death, pain and pleasure are simple illusions of this world, and for this reason killing another human being is perfectly justified. "He who thinks his self a killer and he who think he killed both fail to understand; it does not kill and isn't killed." (Part 19). I still don't get Krishna's reasoning. Maybe this is where religion ethics are different, but I have been taught that every human life is valuable and we have no right to take someone else's life, no matter how evil or twisted that person is. Something else I do understand, but don't exactly agree with is the idea of letting go of all aspects of terrestrial life. I have heard that in order to be enlightened you have to go through a process of letting go of all attachments, pleasures, cares and desires. If you don't have desires, you won't want to acquire that desire. This way you won't fail in obtaining it, and you won't be sad. "When he gives up desires in his mind, is content with the self within himself, then he is said to be a man..."(part 55).To me, this is not a reasonable way to live life. I have come to believe that you have to enjoy life as much as possible, and search for happiness before your life is over. Even if you do have a thousand other reincarnations in front of you, I am sure you will never be the same person or thing you are now. Never will you be together with the people you love now and never will you be able to remember who you were before. The reality you live in right now will be lost forever when this part of you perishes (if I understand Krishna right). This is why I prefer to enjoy life as it comes at me. The material or human attachments I have will certainly cause me pain and sorrow when they are gone. That just means I can appreciate them even more while I still have them. I will not always get what I want. I will certainly be frustrated, but I have learned that all you have to do is move on with life. As I have said many times now, many people would think following Krishna's advice is the key to happiness. I certainly want to follow my beliefs and enjoy life and every second I am granted from it.


Note: I thought those teachings were Buddhist, not Hindu. Is Krishna a man or a woman?

No comments:

Post a Comment