Monday, March 1, 2010

The Supreme God

Krishna is a very arrogant god. He says he is the highest power over all the deities, and no god can beat his power. "...great souls devote themselves to my divine nature..." (part 13). "I am the rite, the sacrifice, the libation for the dead, the healing herb, the sacred hymn..." (part 16). He is life and death; being and unbeing, and the knowledge of true peace and happiness. In other words, if it weren't for him, there would be no order in the world, and we'd live in chaos and destruction.


To this I can't be so sure. In Hinduism there are countless other gods and deities, all worshipped by different people for different reasons. They also make part of the universe and they also play a role as powerful beings that make the world go round. Krishna is not the only one to which people have to listen to. Anyway, he has nothing to brag about. He has to share power with a hundreds of other deities that are probably just as powerful as he is, and surely more popular. Ganesha, Vishnuv and Shiva are more important than Krishna in Hinduism, and I think they have more followers than he does.
Krishna said, "Gathering in my own nature, again and again I freely create this whole throng of creatures, helpless in the force of my nature." (part 8). This reminded me of the part in Fantasia 2000's Firebird by Igor Stravinsky. Since this is a story of life, death and rebirth, I thought it would fit well with Krishna's ranting of the never dying soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment