Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Word of Jesus

In our path of reading the Bible and understanding the teachings of God, we have finally arrived to one of the crucial parts of Christianity: the Gospels. Surprisingly, as I started reading the Gospel according to John, I noticed I was familiar with many things that were mentioned. It appears to be that that's what I've been hearing in church, especially a few months ago during Easter Week.
In any case, this Gospel seems to be about Jesus' life as the Son of God. To me, Jesus is one of the most important characters that have ever existed. He was born from the Virgin Mary in a stable. He preached the lessons of God, and performed miracles for the benefit of the people. He came to Earth to save our poor and miserable humanity, and he shared all of human conditions except for sin. He let himself be crucified to save us, and he resurrected as the Holy Ghost so he can come back on the final day to judge us.
Jesus is the merciful part of God. In the Old Testament, God appeared as an almighty and sometimes fearful being. He had his temper, and he had no mercy over those who acted against his will. Jesus came to Earth as a fragile baby, and had to grow up as a human child to later become an adult. He worked to accomplish his mission of spreading the word of God, and bringing a message of hope of an eternal afterlife. Like he proclaimed:
"He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.I am that bread of life. Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." (John 6:47-51)
 His message was also of mercy and forgiveness, which is a very important part of the Catholic faith. Even when one has sinned, Jesus will be able to forgive you and protect you. Like he did with the woman caught committing adultery. The men asked Jesus if he would let them stone her, and he replied that those who were free of sin could do so freely. When everybody realized it, they went away in shame and Jesus asked, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. (John 8:10-11).
I really believe Jesus is a vital part of the Catholic faith, and if it weren't for his teachings it would be very hard for me to believe in the Catholic religion. I like Jesus' message, and even if some people say he didn't exist, I think the idea of Jesus is a great one. I can believe in his teachings whether he existed or not, or even if he wasn't the messiah at all, even if he was just a regular person. I feel his message is a very valuable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment