Monday, May 10, 2010

Redifining Tao and Its Power

As I move on with the teachings of the Tao, I'm discovering there is still too much of it I don't understand, and as I read on, I keep finding more and more teachings that try to explain the Tao better.
From the chapters I read, I've confirmed that the Tao is something impossible to fully understand. Like the book says, "The Tao is forever undefined. Small though it is in the unformed state, it cannot be grasped."(pg.34 chapter 32). As I previously thought, it is the way of nature, and all the "ten thousand things" to which Tao is their source come back to it as it were their master, even if it's not. (pg. 36, chapter 34). The book also mentioned that if someone were able to control the Tao, he/she would be in control of the "ten thousand things". All the world would obey easily and everything would be as the controller of the Tao wants it to be. It's very good luck for us that the Tao is so impossible to grasp. I couldn't imagine what would happen if so much power could fall in a single person's hands. That would mean that everything and everybody on Earth would have to obey that person like we obey the Tao now (only this time we would be able to see what is that weird force that's making us do so many weird things). So I really hope the Tao stays just as it is: invisible, untouchable, unchanging and free (especially).
I also found that the Tao teaches about war. It obviously recommends not to use violence or weapons, but it said that when there's no choice, you must conquer without rejoicing over your victory, and you must not delight in it because it means you find pleasure in killing.
I wonder why the Chinese thinkers (Confucius and Lao Tze) I've been reading lately are so inclined to make their books so political. Confucius makes some of his teachings as if they were directed to someone with power. From the Analects for example:
 "Do not impose on other what you yourself do not desire."(15:24). "Impose" to me sounds like a ruler making choices for others who have no way of making their own or even protesting. From this I concluded that Confucius is trying to tell rulers to be fair with their people. I also came to think that maybe his book was indirectly written to people of high power so they would become better rulers from reading his book. Tao Te Ching makes its political appearance when the narrator says, "Whenever you advise a ruler in the way of Tao..."(pg.32, chapter 30), and then advises about avoiding violence and war.
These two books were clearly trying to make a difference on the Chinese rulers of that time, and mold them the way each one of them thought a ruler should be. That's just something I thought of as I read, so it's not necessarily true. It was just a thought I wanted to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment