Monday, April 26, 2010

I Will Fear No Evil: For Thou Art With Me

I actually liked to read these psalms. They were short, concise, and weren't full of unneeded dialogue or explanations. They are almost like a prayer one would say before going to sleep.  Unlike the rest of the books that make up the Bible, these "poems" are easier to understand. They have the same writing style, but at least they are short enough so one can keep focused. This way, I was actually able to understand what the narrator was trying to say. In fact, all the Bible should be summarized in little practical poems that you can even turn back to remember. Maybe this way, understanding Christianism, Judaism, and even Islam (because they are all somehow based on the teachings of their version of the Bible) would be a whole lot easier. (Also, making these blogs wouldn't be so hard!)
What's even more interesting is that I've heard parts of these psalms in modern music. For example:
 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;" (Psalms 23:4).
This verse appears in Hammerhead, by the Offspring. What I can't really grasp is why a punk band would use Psalm verses in their songs? Another song I heard is about Psalm 137:1, and it's called Rivers of Babylon, by the Melodians. The Psalms have their message so well delivered that they are even useful to make songs from them. That's what I love about the Psalms!

No comments:

Post a Comment