Wednesday, April 7, 2010

God Almighty

This chapter shows that God will never stop interfering with humans. He decided Sodom and Gorromah didn't deserve to live, so he destroyed the cities. Fortunately God has some mercy, and was willing to forgive the city if there were even ten righteous people in it. Sadly he didn't find the ten, so he saved Lot and his family (although their mother looked back to the city so she turned into a salt pillar), and destroyed the two cities. I do understand why he would be angry with the two cities (because they were sinners), but I don't think they believed in him, so what reason did he have to destroy the cities. Wouldn't they finish their lives and then go to hell? What was the need to destroy them if their going to be punished in the end anyway? Who knows if some of the people would repent some day? God took their chance of salvation away, and decided to just condemn them all.

Later he wanted to punish Abilmelech for taking Sara from Abraham, even if they had said she was her sister. Albimelch protested, "Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation? Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this." (Genesis 19:15-16). That part I really didn't understand.

Another example is when he tests Abraham. God just needs the ultimate proof that Abraham is completely loyal to him, so he asks for his only son for sacrifice. One day he said, "Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of." (Genesis 22:2). I really don't know how Abraham obeyed so easily. He didn't even seem to falter or think twice. It really was an act of unconditional obedience that I wouldn't expect from any person I know. I personally wouldn’t have been able to give anyone I'm attached to for sacrifice, not even to the greatest God that ever existed. I wonder how Isaac felt after that experience. I honestly wouldn't go near my dad if he even thought of giving me as sacrifice to a God, even if it is just a test.

Fortunately for Abraham, his complete devotion to God gave him good results. He was blessed by God, and had good fortune for the years that came after. In the end, all he suffered was rewarded by God's approval. That's the advantage of being on God's side. What impresses me of what I've read until now is how different God is during that time to the image of God we have today. In that time, if you weren't in God's side, you might as well right your will soon, because your future could lie in drowning, burning, turning into salt or just be eternally cursed by God. Today's image (the one I believe in) is a God that loves everyone, no matter what he/she does. He is full of forgiveness, and encourages people to love your friend and your enemy alike. He wants us to strive for kindness and good actions, and leave violence as a useless solution. Obviously this image of God is a lot nicer than the version of God that appears on Genesis. In this era of violence and disturbance, a God like this one is just what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment